A photo was needed to highlight how a product could or might be used. For this shot the decision was made to show the product being used by a family during a summer camping trip. The dilemma was that the product packaging needed to be ready and in stores before summer, the shot would have to be taken during the winter time in the parking lot of the photography studio. Since, in most cases, no one chooses to camp in a parking lot (at least no one we knew) the shot had to be manipulated to show it being used in a summer camping area.

Overview:

Project Type: Photo-manipulated Product Action Shot
Programs Used: Adobe Photoshop
Year: 2005

Workflow

For the start of the project I started by doing basic color correction on the photo from the photographer. After initial color correction I started in on adding and editing the various portions of the photo to begin to achieve the desired end result. For this shot we decided to show the family grilling enjoying a small meal together. When we shot the original we actually didn’t have any meat to cook or place on the hamburger buns that the boy was about to bite into. in editing the shot to help determine good size for the hamburger patty I focused the part of the bun that looks white. I decided that this natural effect of the bun would work perfectly as a reference for where the patty would be.

Adding some meat to the hamburger bun.

Adding some meat to the hamburger bun.

A major amount of editing came in changing out the ground. A lot of time was spent looking through image libraries to find a ground shot that had the elements we wanted to show, such as a well worn area, consisting of the darker dirt that comes from being in a wooded. Once the ground was decided it came time to edit how the elements of the shot would look on the ground. The large piece of lumber would be something that was exposed to the elements more than any other man made object in the shot. To give a more weathered look I added a more “greenish” tint giving a slightly moldy/fungus look.

Adding some "green" to the log allows for a more natural environmental setting

Adding some “green” to the log allows for a more natural environmental setting

Working on the photo I then focused on other parts that needed attention. In the original photo the young girl was photographed wearing a blue t-shirt. The decision was made to provide a more contrasting color between her and the blue chair she was sitting in. I proceeded to mask out the t-shirt from the other areas of the photo and then using selective coloring in photoshop quickly changed the color. I used this method as it allowed for more control in converting the colors, while maintaining more realistic effect in the highlights and shadows.

Creating contrast between shirt and chair.

Creating contrast between shirt and chair.

The “Mother” in the shot was perfect there was some editing that needed to be done. One area was her left shoulder, in the shot her shirt had an odd “puffing” that took place at the seam on her shoulder. also added a strand of hair to the left side of her hair, to give a more natural flow.

Slimming and adding hair.

Slimming and adding hair.

After all the edits were completed, the final composite was pulled together. While the image was pulled together in photoshop from multiple source photos this piece wouldn’t have looked as good if the original photograph wasn’t high resolution and shot so well by the photographer.